We are convinced that our main responsibility lies with the physicians, nursing staff and patients, with the mothers and fathers and all others who use our products and services... We are responsible for the communities in which we live and work...
The values that define our decisions are included in Our Mission Statement. To put it in simple terms, our Mission Statement challenges us to put the needs and welfare of the people that we primarily serve uppermost at all times.
Janssen Pharmaceutica is, therefore, totally committed to supplying high quality products and services to health workers, patients and their families.
It is essential that we gain a clear insight into all aspects relating to patient requirements. That is why we cooperate with patient organisations that play a vital part with respect to the provision of information, support and assistance to patients. As a company we learn from this interaction and that helps us to develop new treatments and provide useful information.
Our aim is to ensure that these relationships and partnerships function in accordance with principles such as mutual respect and knowledge, integrity, independence and transparency.
This framework has already been described in the "Code Of Practice On Relationships Between The Pharmaceutical Industry And Patient Organisations", formulated by the European Federation Of Pharmaceutical Industry Associations (EFPIA) in cooperation with pan European patient organisations. Our company subscribes to the following principles.
The main elements of which are as follows:
- Independence of patient organisations with respect to political ideology, policy and activities is guaranteed.
- All partnerships between patient organisations and the pharmaceutical industry are based on mutual respect, in which each partner’s insights and decisions are of equal value.
- The pharmaceutical industry does not demand a specific drug to be promoted; neither shall patient organisations agree to do so.
- The objectives and scope of each partnership must be transparent. Financial and non financial support from the pharmaceutical industry must always be openly reported.
- The pharmaceutical industry is in favour of the wider financing of patient organisations from different sources.
In order to facilitate cooperation Janssen Pharmaceutica has developed the following:
- A revision process implemented by a multi-disciplinary commission for the evaluation of requests for financing or cooperation.
- Notification of financing in favour of patient organisations. Our aim in publishing the contributions is to underline our permanent commitment to transparency.
- Definition of the type of activities that can be supported.
What is the nature of our cooperation with patient organisations?
Janssen Pharmaceutica is at liberty to interact with patient groups in the following ways:
- Support for training programmes and conferences;
- Sponsoring of charity events;
- Contributions in support of programmes and services for the patient community and its carers;
- Contributions in support of activities that help patients and their carers to lobby for improved care, services and support, and contributions to promote an awareness of specific diseases.
The following types of requests will usually not be considered for contributions:
- Bursaries to individuals;
- Direct contributions to individuals;
Description of contribution process
A multi-disciplinary commission will study all requests. Applications must include a task description, the fiscal statute, a description of the project/event, a description of the manner in which the funds will be used, the project budget (where applicable) and the annual operating budget.